SSL 4K B
SSL’s “4K B” is an expertly crafted emulation of the classical SL 4000 B released in 1976.
Not available as a stand-alone plug-in, it is a SSL “Complete” subscription exclusive!
– Back to where it all began! –
About The SSL 4K B
The SL 4000 B was released in 1976 and only 6 were ever built. It was famously used in the “Stone Room” at London’s Townhouse Studios, at Le Studio (Montreal) and Record Plant (Los Angeles). It was the favorite of engineers and producers such as Steve Lillywhite, John Leckie, Mick Glossop, Hugh Padgham, Tony Platt and many more.
The console was responsible for countless iconic records, including Peter Gabriel’s “Intruder”, Phil Collins’ “In the Air Tonight” and The Buggles’ “Video Killed the Radio Star”.
SSL’s 4K B has been expertly and painstakingly modeled and with first-class integration with the SSL 360° Plug-in Mixer ecosystem, it is an authentic channel strip emulation of the SL 4000 B – full of tone, punch and rich non-linear analogue character.
How Does The SSL 4K B Work?
● Jensen JE-115K-E Transformer pre-amp, a mic pre-amp stage automatically gain-compensated that allows easy dial in harmonics without destructively effecting levels.
● The original 4000-series EQ circuit, a precursor to the 02 ‘brown knob’ EQ, the original 4000-series EQ circuit from the SL 4000 B is every bit as musical and full of character – its constant bandwidth parametric mid-bands make it great for shaping drums and bass.
● A channel dynamics module unlike the 4000 E and 9000-series channels. The compressor design has a circuit topology based on the legendary SSL Bus Compressor, including peak detection and a sidechain VCA in a feedback loop.
● De-ess mode with a unique ‘ds’ mode that repurposes the compressor for broadband compression triggered by sibilance, just like the original hardware.
● The dbx 202 ‘black can’ VCA fader that introduces subtle saturation at the output – drive the fader to introduce harmonics and then dial back the output using the output trim control.
● HQ mode for enhanced processing and intelligent oversampling under-the-hood – applying the minimum amount of oversampling necessary for a closer approximation of a continuous analogue signal.
● Total control from the SSL 360° Plug-in Mixer, allowing mixing ‘n’ matching the 4K B with Channel Strip 2, and controlling them all from the SSL 360° Plug-in Mixer – your virtual SSL console – including first-class integration with the SSL UF8 and SSL UC1 controllers for hands-on control.
Why The SSL 4K B Is Such A Big Deal...
- Authentic SL 4000 B-series analogue console emulation brings the elusive and rare sound of the SL 4000 B console (only 6 were built) to your DAW
- Full of tone, punch and rich non-linear analogue character.
- Mix ‘n’ match the 4K B with Channel Strip 2, and control them all from the SSL 360° Plug-in Mixer – your virtual SSL console
- First-class integration with the SSL UF8 and SSL UC1 controllers for hands-on control
- Add analogue saturation and drive to your tracks with the pre-amp section and VCA fader saturation.
- Expanded output section features a virtual fader and stereo image control with the addition of Fader Level, Pan and Width parameters.
- Detailed model of the original SL 4000 B console, emulating the circuits from the original schematics down to a component level:
- HQ mode lets you sacrifice CPU for higher quality – introducing processing such as oversampling under-the-hood.
- Built-in help – simply click the ‘?’ and mouseover the GUI to find out more
- Cross-platform preset management
– Jensen JE-115K-E Transformer mic pre-amp
– Original 4000-series EQ circuit, the precursor to the O2 Brown Knob EQ of the 4000 E
– B-Series channel compressors, featuring a circuit topology based on the SSL Bus Compressor – peak detection and a sidechain VCA in a feedback loop
– Unique ‘ds’ mode re-purposes the compressor to de-ess your signal
– dbx 202 ‘black can’ VCA fader