CrushStation is a versatile, best-in-class, stereo distortion platform for your Mac, PC or iPad/iPhone. Its controls can drive your tone from creamy saturation to a brutal sonic assault.
About The Eventide CrushStation
CrushStation is a versatile, best-in-class, stereo distortion platform for your Mac, PC or iPad/iPhone. Its controls can drive your tone from creamy saturation to a brutal sonic assault. But distortion is just the starting point. CrushStation brings multi-effects to the mix by adding a three-band EQ, Compression, Octave Mix and, Eventide’s unique take on failing hardware, the Sag control. Use the MIX Control to blend your dry signal with CrushStation to create parallel compression, distortion, and other creative effects.
How Does The Eventide CrushStation Work?
Originally developed for the Eventide H9 Harmonizer® pedal, CrushStation has been enhanced for experimentation and live performance and fine-tuned for your desktop, laptop or iPad. Like all H9 series plug-ins, CrushStation is designed to ‘play’
The Ribbon lets you sweep the effect between two completely different settings. On one end you can have a gritty dark EQ, and on the other a wall of sound using heavy Compression, Sag, and Octaves during a solo or intense transition. Even a dramatic effect can become boring if it remains static throughout a track. Use the Ribbon to add a bit of ‘life’ while you’re mixing.
For desktop users, plug in a MIDI keyboard and gain control of the Ribbon via the mod wheel for tactile and nuanced morphs and sweeps. The plug-in comes loaded with 35 Factory Presets that cover the many ways that you’ll want to use it. Presets capable of adding spice, flair, crude and crunch to suit a variety of production styles. Get guitars, bass and synth to sit perfectly in the mix by dialing in warmth and depth with “PunkRock Lobster.” The Grit control in “Fat n Snappy” adds preamp-style distortion that can help bring out kicks in the mix with. “Big Pop Octaves” adds subtle distortion and lower octaves for unique pitch blending vocal effects. Further fine tune your sound using the three-band EQ to tame cymbals and vocal sibilance.
Hear The Eventide CrushStation In Action
The short story is, the Eventide people have exceeded expectations and made an algorithm that can be as subtle or as downright nasty as you want. I really like products that let you dig in and get your hands dirty, but reward you greatly when you do. The fact that I just said that about something I control with an iPad Mini feels a little strange. But really, that’s no surprise, because Eventide gear has been pushing engineers and musicians alike out of their comfort zones for the better part of the last 45 years.
CrushStation can provide a range of distortion types, from “creamy saturation” to “brutal sonic assault”, and the end result can be further honed thanks to its built-in EQ, compression, octaver, and Sag sections. Sag described Eventide’s attempt to model failing analogue hardware — presumably the kind of sound you’d expect from a device with a dodgy power supply or low batteries!
Why The Eventide CrushStation Is Such A Big Deal...
CrushStation’s combination of ingredients creates a plugin that excels at the three broad ways distortion effects can be deployed.
FX expert and author, Alex Case, refers to them as the “3Fs”: FIT, FIX and FEATURE
- FIX” a weak snare track by adding just a bit of Grit & Compression.
- “FIT” finesse the lead into your mix by adding a bit of warmth and bottom.
- “FEATURE” the lead by crushing it ‘til it hurts.
- 35 PRESETS painstakingly tailored to cover all the bas(s)es
- DRIVE from shallow subtle boost to deep overdrive distortion
- GRIT and SUSTAIN pushes into fuzz territory
- SAG was inspired by our experience of the sound of dying analog gear; the power rail sags and the amp starts sputtering, cutting out and sounding ‘broken’
- MIX in higher and lower OCTAVES then turn up the DRIVE and SUSTAIN to crush them together to form massive new textures
- GRIT for low-end, gritty, chugging sounds
- 3-Band EQ to shape your tone
- GATE your signal to tame an aggressive distortion output, or get aggressive with high threshold gating and dry MIX for parallel gated crunch
- RIBBON lets you ‘play’ the effect in real-time and provides dynamic and fluid control to morph back and forth between the settings of your choice
- HOTSWITCH allows you to instantly switch between two different distinct settings within the same preset at the push of a button
- MIXLOCK keeps MIX control constant as you audition presets
- Available for Mac and PC as VST, AAX, and AU plug-in
- iOS version works as a standalone app, AudioUnit v3 plug-in, or Inter-App Audio effect